Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Week 16


16 weeks along!

After getting home from Italy, I was pretty exhausted and uncomfortable from all the swelling I endured on the plane ride home. I slept for what seemed like a week straight and excitedly entered my second trimester! Now I'm no longer napping during the day and still feeling wonderful being pregnant. I'm just completely in love with it. I lay around before bed and when I wake with my hands on my belly hoping to feel the flutters of our little one swimming around. Sometimes I think I do! I could just be convincing myself for reassurance that it's the baby rather than a hungry stomach or my body otherwise regulating itself. I look forward to feeling those feelings more consistently so that I can know for sure!

This is a trying time because as much as I am trying to maintain my optimism, it was around this time during the last pregnancy that we lost our son with no signs whatsoever. Our next prenatal appt is still two weeks away, so until then I'll keep placing my hands on my belly searching for life. I have a little mantra that I made up and hung on the wall next to my bed - I repeat it to myself several times a day and it brings me peace about this baby being A-OK.

One thing that is reassuring is my weight gain! At our 14 week appt after returning to the states, I discovered I'd gained 9 lbs over the previous four weeks! My midwife said I had some catching up to do since starting the pregnancy a bit underweight. That eased my concern, but in the past two weeks since that appt, I think I've gained a few more! It's great to see my belly growing, though, and visualize my baby receiving the nourishment he or she needs to grow healthy and strong.

As far as finding out whether the baby is a he or a she, the big ultrasound is scheduled for September 15th with the perinatologist! We're anxious and excited, and have decided to keep the gender result a secret for ourselves until the birth :)
*picture note: I personally think my belly looks smaller on camera than in real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment