Wednesday, July 15, 2009

10 Week Update

We went to the genetic counselor on Wednesday and got a 10 week ultrasound done. As the image of our little baby popped up on the screen, my heart was pounding and my eyes were surveying his little chest for a heartbeat. I couldn't detect it - in a matter of about 10 seconds or less I started having flashbacks about our previous loss and that moment when things turned from excitement and joy to terror and shock. During those few seconds, I wondered if this, too, would become one of those moments. The tech wasn't saying anything, but suddenly the little guy (who actually looks like a baby now) flopped around in a motion reminiscent of that dance move "the worm". I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief as the tech starting speaking, pointing out the beating heart, etc. He's a cute little guy and doing well.

Then we sat down and spoke with the doctor who was very informative. He spoke with us about some different choices we needed to make about the pregnancy and possible implications of our family history. It was nice to get that extra information that other "regular" doctors haven't really gone into. To my surprise, we don't need to see him again until 18-20 weeks, but he's going to have some more blood work ordered on me to check in on a couple things. All in all, it was a very good appt.

Sorry I can't go into more depth right now, but we're running around trying to get ready for Italy! Probably won't be able to post again before we take off on Monday, but hopefully I can get online while abroad.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment